Things you may not know?
Bad News Foods. Things you shouldn’t feed your dog.
Why not chocolate, its Yummy?
Chocolate contains theobromine a natural stimulant found in the cocoa bean. It increases urination and affects the central nervous system and the heart muscle of dogs. When ingested by pets, look for vomiting, diarrhoea or hyperactivity. More severe symptoms include an increase in the dog’s heart rate, restlessness, muscle twitching and excessive panting. The results of too much chocolate may also cause muscle tremors, seizures, coma and even death. If you think your pet has eaten chocolate (even a small amount) you should contact your local vet as soon as possible for advice.
Alcoholic beverages can cause the same damage to an animal’s liver and brain as they cause in humans. The smaller the animal, the more deadly the effects can be.
Walnuts and macadamia nuts are especially toxic. Effects can be anything from vomiting to paralysis to death. The effect can cause kidney failure, often leading to death.
Anything containing Xylitol (a common sweetener found in some diet products) can cause a sudden drop in an animal’s blood sugar, loss of coordination and seizures. If left untreated, the animal could die.
They contain a toxic component called persin, which can damage heart, lung and other tissue in many animals. This fruit is very toxic to dogs, cats and most animals.
Grapes and Raisins
Although the toxic substance within grapes and raisins is unknown, these fruits can cause kidney failure. Until more information is known about the toxic substance, it is best to avoid feeding grapes and raisins to dogs.
Milk and Dairy
Because pets do not possess significant amounts of lactase (the enzyme that breaks down lactose in milk), milk and other dairy-based products cause them diarrhoea or other digestive upset.
The stems, leaves, peels, fruit and seeds of citrus plants contain varying amounts of citric acid, essential oils that can cause irritation and possibly even central nervous system depression if ingested in significant amounts. Small doses, such as eating the fruit, are not likely to present problems beyond minor stomach upset.
Potato leaves and stems can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, anorexia, disorientation, lethargy, and central nervous system depression. The skin can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, lethargy, tremors, seizures, and cardiac arrhythmias.
Are table scraps bad for dogs?
It’s OK to give table scraps. Just be sure that they’re healthy for your dog, low calorie, low salt and low fat so that your dog can enjoy many years of long life with you. Also be careful there are none of the above!